We are committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and free of barriers based on age, race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex (including gender identify), sexual orientation, record of offences, marital status, family status, and disability.
We will provide accommodation for needs related to the grounds of the Ontario Human Rights Code, unless to do so would cause an undue hardship, as defined by the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy on Disability and the Duty to Accommodate.
Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. We will work cooperatively, and in the spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
This policy applies to all employees.
We strive at all times to provide our goods, services and opportunities in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to benefit from the same services and opportunities, in the same place and in a similar way as others.
Providing Good, Services & Opportunities to People with Disabilities
We are committed to excellence in serving all, including people with disabilities. The commitment in demonstrate in the following areas:
- Assistive Devices
- We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use, or benefit from our goods and services. Our staff are familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by people with disabilities while accessing our goods, services or opportunities.
- We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities with respect to recruitment, employment, training, career development, and career progression.
- We are committed to ensuring that our premises and related services are welcoming and available to people with disabilities. As appropriate, we are willing to provide necessary alterations to our facilities to accommodate people with disabilities.
- Service Animals
- We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
- Support Persons
- A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises or any off-site events. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises. Fees will not be charged for support persons.
- Notice of Temporary Disruption
- In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, we will notify customers promptly. The notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
We provide training to employees and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. Individuals in the following positions will be trained: all employees.
The training will be provided to staff once per year and at the beginning of their employment and when there are changes made to these policies, practices, and procedures or the legislation.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard, workplace emergency response information and all other necessary regulations.
- Our plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our and services.
- Our policies, practices and procedures related to the required legislative standards.
- Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our plan or as new legislation takes effect.
- Feedback process
- Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way we provide goods and services to people with disabilities can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All feedback, including complaints, will be directed to Human Resources and responses will follow within ten (10) business days.
- Modifications to this or other policies
- Any company policy that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.